4.01.2009

To Choke or Not to Choke?

That was the question running through my head as I stepped up to the plate with two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning (the softball equivalent to the ninth), our team down by one with the tying run at third. All I needed to do was get on base and we're heading to extra innings. I start thinking I want to pull the ball down the left field line and as a result, open up my stance. The pitch came at me outside and I swung and end up hitting a little dribbler off the end of the bat right back to the pitcher. Game over. I felt like the biggest turd in the world. 

We ended up losing 5-4 to the Luck Dragons. Our bats, with the exception of Jay Howard, were asleep at the wheel the entire game. We just couldn't manage to put together consecutive hits. Defense was great as usual, but our offense was weak. 

The Luck Dragons are now in first place and we are tied for whatever. In a league with no playoff system, records are all that matter. A win last night would have put us in a tie for first place. Considering we don't play them again and I don't really see anyone else in the league beating them, the Championship may be theirs with four games still to go. 

Oh well, we'll get 'em next season. 

On a lighter note, here is a link to a timeless classic. After my last at-bat last night, I thought about changing my name too.

No comments:

Post a Comment